| Microsoft has begun shipping peripherals with fingerprint technology licensed from DigitalPersona. Though using technology found in DigitalPersona products, Microsoft products are different from DigitalPersona and are not compatible. The following document outlines these differences.
* Background *
Microsoft recently found, through consumer research, that:
- Its consumers were frustrated with the number of passwords they have to remember
- Its consumers were looking for a convenient solution for logging into
Web sites, accessing information on the PC and switching between Microsoft Windows XP user accounts without the need to remember, enter multiple passwords.
As a result, Microsoft selected DigitalPersona as their partner to provide the appropriate technology and entered an agreement.
On September 8, 2004 Microsoft announced the results of that agreement ?enhancements to two existing Microsoft peripherals, and a new one. Microsoft introduced their fingerprint reader product line.
The product line consists of:
- Microsoft Fingerprint Reader
- Microsoft Wireless IntelliMouse Explorer with Fingerprint Reader
- Microsoft Optical Desktop with Fingerprint Reader
* Frequently Asked Questions *
1. Are Microsoft products DigitalPersona?
A) No. Microsoft products were specified, designed and manufactured by Microsoft, using DigitalPersona technology. They are physically, technologically and functionally different from DigitalPersona
2. What DigitalPersona technology is included in the Microsoft products?
A) Included with each Microsoft peripheral is:
- DigitalPersona optical fingerprint reader module
- DigitalPersona Password Manager software application modified to Microsoft specifications
- DigitalPersona Identity Engine (formerly U.are.U Recognition System), which is included within Password Manager
3) How does Microsoft offering fingerprint reader peripherals affect DigitalPersona?
A) Besides adding another partner to a growing list of distinguished partners using DigitalPersona technology, DigitalPersona has discontinued the availability of its consumer product line, DigitalPersona Personal.
4) Do Microsoft Fingerprint Reader peripherals work with DigitalPersona current software solutions?
A) No. Microsoft Fingerprint Reader peripherals were designed and manufactured to work only with a Microsoft-specific version of DigitalPersona Password Manager. They will not work with any of DigitalPersona developer and enterprise product lines (DigitalPersona Integrator, Online, Pro and SDKs).
5) Do Microsoft Fingerprint Reader peripherals work with DigitalPersona SDKs?
A) No. Microsoft Fingerprint Reader peripherals do not work with DigitalPersona SDKs.
6) Can Microsoft Fingerprint Reader peripherals be upgraded to work with DigitalPersona software products?
A) No. Microsoft products can only work with the DigitalPersona Password Manager application designed for Microsoft.
7) What does DigitalPersona Password Manager application for Microsoft Fingerprint Reader do?
A) Password Manager is a single-user application that allows consumers to:
- Log on to their PC
- Log onto Web sites requiring passwords
- Switch between Windows XP user accounts
8) How does this differ from DigitalPersona enterprise solutions?
A) DigitalPersona Pro is a client/server enterprise product that is tightly integrated with Microsoft Windows Active Directory to provide a convenient, secure authentication for multiple users to networks, applications and Web sites. DigitalPersona Pro is only compatible with DigitalPersona fingerprint readers and includes the following features:
- Centralized fingerprint data storage on secure servers
- Support for multiple credentials (fingerprint, password, and soon, others)
- Adjustable security levels
- Audit logs
- Single-action user shutdown to all networks and applications
9) Can existing U.are.U Personal customers upgrade to Password Manager?
A) No. Password Manager for Microsoft Fingerprint Reader Peripherals works only with Microsoft products.
* Distinguishing Microsoft and DigitalPersona Fingerprint Readers *
Microsoft Fingerprint Readers are clearly distinguishable by the Microsoft logo on top of their products and are shipped in Microsoft packaging.
* Availability of Microsoft Products *
Microsoft Fingerprint Reader peripherals are sold through Microsoft sales channels worldwide.
* For Further Information *
For any questions about Microsoft products, go to www.microsoft.com/hardware/mouseandkeyboard/productlist.aspx?fprint=yes.